What is IVF?
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is a series of procedures complex in nature and used to treat fertility, genetic problems and assist with the conception of a child.
What is In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) ?
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is a technology that refers to fertilization outside the Fallopian Tube in the female. In this procedure the egg (oocyte) and the sperms n kept together in a dish in a specialized culture media in a dish where the possibilities of successful fertilization are greatly increased. The embryos are then kept for observation and grown in the IVF Laboratory. Further, they are graded for the quality and then selected for transfer at 6 to 8 cell embryo stage or later on at the Blastocyst Embryo Transfer stage.
What are some of the reasons for Infertility?
Many causes of infertility like Endometriosis, ovulation disorders, unexplained infertility, Ovarian failure etc. or intense male infertility due to low sperm counts or low sperm motility, advanced reproductive age make it difficult for the mating couple to conceive. However all these obstacles can be overcome by IVF at Evaa Hospital.
IVF is the most efficient and effective form of assisted reproductive technology. The treatment can be done using the couples own eggs and sperm or IVF can also involve eggs, sperm or embryos from a known or unknown donor.
When is IVF suggested?
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization also known as test tube baby is an effective way of treating infertility of all causes except for women with infertility caused by an anatomic problem with the uterus, such as severe intrauterine adhesions.
It is generally used in couples who have failed to conceive after at least one year of trying or malformation defect also have one or more of the following:
- Blocked fallopian tubes or pelvic adhesions with distorted pelvic anatomy. Women that have had tubal ligation and are considering tubal reversal surgery as well as men that are considering vasectomy reversal surgery might also consider IVF.
- Male factor infertility (low sperm count or low motility). ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) is an IVF procedure that can fertilize eggs even with poor sperm count.
- Failed 2-4 cycles of ovarian stimulation with intrauterine insemination
- Advanced female age – over about 38 years of age. In vitro fertilization and advanced maternal age is discussed in detail on the female age page.
- Reduced ovarian reserve, which means lower quantity (and sometimes quality) of eggs.
- Moderate to Severe endometriosis
- Unexplained infertility when inseminations have failed. Unexplained infertility means standard fertility tests have not found the cause of the fertility issue.
Where is it performed?
During an IVF cycle, all the procedures that are required including Ovarian Stimulation and monitoring, egg retrieval and embryo transfer are done on-site in our state-of-the-art IVF Centre – Evaa Hospital, Jaipur by the team of highly trained specialists which includes IVF Specialist, Gynecologist, Embryologists, Neonatologist and Pediatricians.
IVF Procedure (Step-by-step)
- IVF (Test Tube Baby), GIFT & ICSI, Ovarian stimulation by hormonal injection to produce multiple eggs.
- Monitoring of the response by ultrasound scans and blood tests.
- Egg retrieval with the help of a needle under local/general anaesthesia.
- The collected eggs and her husband’s or Donor’s sperms which are mixed outside the woman’s body in a culture dish or a test tube and are left for fertilisation in an incubator.
- Transfer of the resulting embryo(s) into the uterus of the woman on D2/D5.
Blood test is performed 15 days after embryo transfer to assess the establishment of pregnancy. If the treatment procedure is successful, one or more embryos will implant in the uterus and the pregnancy will result, just as it happens in the natural process of conception.
The specific stages involved in IVF treatment will be explained in detail to each individual who comes in for treatment at Evaa Hospital, Jaipur.